Saturday, June 1, 2013

Leaving Home - The Grind

Veneese Mollison
Radio Essay #1 (:60)
Leaving Home – The Grind

Here we go again. The alarm goes off at 5:30 in the morning and the grind begins. Of

course I'm not ready to get up so the snooze bar is my friend. Nine more minutes is the

most it will give. I'm still not ready so I hit it again. One more time and it might cost 

me time for breakfast. My brain is slowly waking up between snoozes. I need to

convince my body to wake up too. A glimpse into reality is all it takes. The motivation

of a pay check can be great incentive. I turn on the news for the traffic and weather. If

I'm lucky I might get to catch a little sports and entertainment. Hopefully I'll get to

hear more than depressing statistics. Off to the bathroom for a little quality time. Brush

my teeth, take a shower and do something with my hair. Now the biggest challenge of

my morning is finding something to wear. It's a delicate balance between what needs to

be ironed and what is actually clean. This could take a while if it happens to be laundry

week. Once a decision is made the rest of the morning should be a breeze. And even

though traffic is the worst part of my day, it's just another part of the grind that makes

up my day.

 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy your TV time that you give, that sounds exactly like how I will go about my usual mornings. I can also relate to traffic! We have to literally get up early while people near school can get to class by ten minutes.

    ReplyDelete